Lawrence Park Lawn Bowling & Croquet Club
Lawrence Park Lawn Bowling Club was formed in the spring of 1912 and has operated continuously since then at the same location in the Alexander Muir Ravine.
Originally it was a private, “men’s only club” for the residents of the Lawrence Park Estate. A ladies section was added in 1915, but now there is no distinction.
The Club came under the jurisdiction of the City of Toronto Parks and Recreation department in 1923. Tennis was then part of the club, but it separated in 1933. Croquet was started in 2000. The club is a member of the Ontario Lawn Bowling Association (OLBA – district 12) affiliated with Bowls Canada as well as a member club of Croquet Canada.
The current clubhouse was built in 1951. There are two greens, which enables playing of bowls and croquet at the same time.
Lawn Bowling play is mainly in-house competition and casual play. Some members will enter tournaments within the district, with the more skilled playing in Provincial or even National events. Inter-club “friendlies” are a very popular.
Croquet play is mainly social, but we do have competitive play and club championships in Golf Croquet and USCA Rules. Many of our members compete in national and international tournaments. Since 2018 we have had 3 different members as Canadian Open Champions, and two members have competed in the World Golf Croquet Championships.
The club is managed by a Board elected from among the membership each year. Members pitch in to maintain the club, although a professional groundskeeper is employed to keep the greens in top condition.
Membership is open to anyone with an interest in learning the games.
Come join us!