This trophy was presented to the club by the late Mr. Gordon Bricker, who was President in 1941, and was chairman of the Social Committee from 1945 to 1953 inclusive.
During the many years when it seemed impossible to grow grass anywhere from ten to fifteen feet from the ditch boards and our Club had little to offer by way of good bowling, Gordon through his social activities, sing songs and skits, held the club together until the remedy was found. Over that long period when better bowling could have been had at almost any other club, Lawrence Park lost hardly a member. Gordon Bricker had so built up the social side of this club that the greens became of secondary importance and did’nt seem to matter so much.
The Union Jack that flies from our flagstaff was presented to the Club by Gordon, together with yards and yards of bunting with which our Club was bedecked on opening day and other special occasions for many years. His many and varied contributions cannot now be counted, but one can say with assurance that Gordon Bricker has contributed more to the success, socialbility and growth of our Club than any other single member.
At our annual meeting in November 1954, he was awarded an Honorary Life Membership, the highest honor our club can bestow on its members.
The Gordon Bricker trophy was presented for competition in 1949, to be competed by men only, but, owing to his great popularity throughout the club it was decided by the board of Directors in 1956 to make it a mixed trebles competition as it is to-day, so that every member could have equal opportunity to add his or her name to this beautiful trophy which is now become a memorial to that illustrious member whom we can in all sincerity refer to as “Mr. Lawrence Park”, Gordon Bricker.
He passed away in November 1955.
Prepared by A.V Orr – May 1963 (With thanks to Dorothy Burrows)